in praise of the Journal

Leslie W Bartlett lesbart1@juno.com
Thu, 13 Jun 2002 12:39:54 -0500

 I can  tell you that writing for it is a largely thankless task.
	As one who has thought about writing something for submission, and
thought again and decided I don't know anything, I am appreciative of the
expertise which is available through the Journal, even though it reminds
me that my knowledge is not even rudimentary at this point.  Having been
program chairman for the local chapter, I know the difficulties involved
in getting programs on a monthly basis. I can imagine it is more
difficult to get persons with acquired knowledge and writing ability to
contribute anything at all.   I should expect that much of the work that
goes into the Journal borders on volunteer, I think it is a masterfully
done presentation each month.
	Thanks for this reminder that we need to be aware of the great amount of
work which goes on, which we largely take for granted, and for the
professional level of information, gained at great cost, over years, yet
available to us for very little cost on our part.
les bartlett
houston

> The same thing is true of instructing at our conventions. Nothing at
all is done to
> compensate instructors for the many hours that go into preparing for
his or her
> class.  But if a class is not presented at what the attendees consider
to be
> a fully  professional level everyone will hear about it. Again, the
obvious
> solution
> is to raise the rates for the convention.
	As one of the many who doesn't earn enough, yet, tuning, to pay for
convention costs - and thus I work as a piano mover at conventions- I
would hate to see costs go higher, given the costs of travel and
accomodations.  I would have hoped the Guild was made of better stuff
than to complain when a class isn't suited to the tastes of an
individual. I leave the convention thinking I should probably just find a
corner and curl up in fetal position, as I am continually awed at the
reservoir of expertise and experience which present themselves, reminding
me how far I have to go before I can count myself among the true
technicians.
les bartlett
houston

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!