quick advice on damperlever replacement

Greg Newell gnewell@ameritech.net
Thu, 13 Jun 2002 16:15:29 -0400

Tom,
         I'm thinking I would go about it in just exactly the opposite way
you have planned. If you replace just the flanges you won't have that much
regulating to do once you get back to the piano. If you put new levers with
wires you'll have a great deal more work to do in the regulation dept. and
it should cost the customer a whole lot more money.
         The jacks vs. the jacks with flanges. That's a little tougher
decision. If the old joint seems that brittle it's not out of the question
to replace the flange too. If not, I say just pin in the new jacks. Pinning
either of these should be a piece of cake if you use the broach type
reamers ala Don Mannino. Schaff can send the reamers at the same time as
the other parts if you don't already own them.
         The damper flanges come with the springs already attached so the
job is really straight forward. Just pin 'em on!
I hope this helps a bit.

Greg Newell

At 03:56 PM 6/13/2002, you wrote:
>I'm replacing the plastic damper levers/flanges on an Ivers&Pond console this
>coming week.  (Damper felts also need replacing.)
>
>So, my question is:
>
>What would be simpler/easier?  Replacing the damper levers WITH damper wires?
>  (Putting the old damper heads on the new wires and bending every darn
> one of
>them) or replacing the damper levers withOUT damper wires and inserting the
>old wires into the new damper levers?
>
>I guess my real question is:  how are damper wires attached to the levers, by
>glue, or just sticking 'em in there?  I can't imagine how difficult or easy
>this might be, never having done it or thought about it before.
>
>A secondary issue/question: I'll be replacing the plastic jacks, too. I'm
>thinking it'll be easier/quicker to replace the flanges too.  Just soak the
>old ones off and glue the new ones on.  Agree?
>
>Thanks.  I'm waiting for a response before I order the parts.  (So answer me
>QUICK, darnit!)
>
>Tom Sivak
>
>P.S.
>
>The difference in price between the above options is negligible, and th
>erefore not an issue.

Greg Newell
mailto:gnewell@ameritech.net