quick advice on damperlever replacement

Joseph Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Thu, 13 Jun 2002 19:43:28 -0700

Tom et al,
Having done this numerous times, I consider replacing the entire lever
easier. I block up the lift rod so that all the dampers and even and approx.
at the "lifted" position. I then replace every other one, keeping in mind
where the old one was. Bend to match it's neighbors and attach the old
damper head w/orig felt. Once the new ones are on, then I take the old felt
off. You can put the treble felt on at the bench, but have to put the bass
ones on in the piano. Try to put the same thicknesses of felt back on that
were originally there. This will help with lessening the amout of regulation
needed.
Oh, once the heads are on, I nip the excess wire off with a pair of starrett
wire cutters. Makes for a nice neat job that is probably better than
original. The only bugaboo to this is that you will need to do some spoon
bending! :-(
As for the jacks, I prefer to replace the entire wippen and save for a time
when it's slow, to replace the jacks, backchecks, etc. Then the next job you
use the "rebuilt" ones.
Best Regards,
Joe Garrett, RPT, (Oregon)