Astin-Weight

Fri, 14 Jun 2002 12:08:49 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: <kc7cvc@mtwest.net>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: June 14, 2002 10:19 AM
Subject: Re: Astin-Weight

> Hi David,
> I did one ten or twelve years ago and I thought the action was pretty good
but
> the cabinet was made out of verneer particale board and it was warped so
bad
> the key board cover dragged on both sides when you opened it. I was very
> disappointed.

As did I -- I bought one for evaluation -- and as was I.

Much of the cabinetry -- such as the pedal board, bottom board, keybed arms,
keybed, keyslip, cheekblocks, etc. -- was glued together. The extensive use
of particle board made it impossible to adequately disassemble the piano for
anything other than minor servicing. Though it was supposed to be walnut
veneered and finished (an oil finish) several components such as the key
slip, cheekblocks, etc., were something else, possibly heavily stained
poplar.

But it was the bridge notching that most offended my sensibilities: it had
been done by placing a crudely shaped template on top of the bridge --
presumably after it had been drilled -- and routing off the outside of the
cap with what looked like a 1/4" round-nose router bit. Occasionally the
edge of the notch actually did fall fairly close to the line of bridge pins,
but not often.

I also recall that I didn't think much of the stringing scale either. So, I
developed a new scale, capped the bridge -- some trick with the keybed in
place -- strung the piano and it turned out to be at least a notch above
acceptable. Still don't like oil finishes on pianos, though.

Del