Practical Action Geometry Question??

Matt Wynne ptuner@optonline.net
Sat, 15 Jun 2002 00:11:01 -0400

Brian:

I had a job just like that last year.  I replaced wippens, hammers shanks
and hammers.  The action was about 80 or 90 yrs old and matching parts were
not available.  I ordered several samples from the supply house to decide
the best choice.

Luckily the action brackets were made of wood which allowed me to modify
the geometry relatively easily.  I plugged the holes in the brackets
allowing me to redrill new ones for the new locations of the wippen and
hammer rails.

I sat the empty rails on the brackets with one sample wippen and hammer
shank in each section and was able to move the rails back and forth until
the parts lined up properly and could be regulated within proper
tolerances.  Once I had a good location, I then redrilled rail mounting
holes.  All in all I probably moved each rail no more than 1 or 2 8ths on
an inch.  I also had to move the capstan line.

If you have metal brackets, you can look into making wood brackets or
better yet, getting blocks of nylon, the plastic-type material that many
spurlock tools are made of.  You can cut your own brackets and the movement
from climate change will be nominal.

Good luck,

Matt W.