Tuning Hammer and Technique for Novice

Charles Neuman piano@charlesneuman.net
Sun, 16 Jun 2002 16:08:19 -0400 (EDT)

I have started with a "student" type lever. At the Convention I intend to
upgrade to either a ball-type one or a traditional extension lever. I'd
say if someone doesn't have a lever at all and seems to be sincerely
interested in learning tuning, don't waste the money on a student one
because it's likely that the person would want to upgrade. On the other
hand, I'm glad I'll have a spare, in case something happens to my new one.
I can leave it in the car, in case I run across an out-of-tune piano.

For me, the reason to upgrade is to get something that isn't so springy.
I'm not worried about the student lever wearing out at all. I'm sure it'll
last just as long as any other one. But I'd like a little more meat
between my hand and the tuning pin.

Before I knew what I was doing, I used a smooth pulling technique. After
some practice, I became comfortable with the notch technique. I find that
my unisons hold better. George Defebaugh and Jim Coleman teach the notch
technique as part of Randy's course. On my old PSO, where the pins are
looser, I find that a smooth pulling technique is just as effective, if
not more appropriate. I'd say the most important thing for a novice to
learn is the concept of the pin twisting during tuning and the need to
leave the pin in a state that is not twisted when you're done. In my
(limited) experience, how much you need to tune above the intended pitch
varies from piano to piano and even note to note in some cases.

Now I have some questions: Who invented the WonderWand? And who sells it
now? Bill mentioned one name. I have also seen Wayne Saucier advertise it
in the Journal.

Charles Neuman
PTG Assoc, Long Island-Nassau