Single Strings and bearing

Mon, 17 Jun 2002 08:55:24 -0700

  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: David Love=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: June 17, 2002 8:29 AM
  Subject: Re: Single Strings and bearing

  Okay, I will go into it a bit.  This is not a great piano and the =
project requires keeping costs to a reasonable minimum.  The tenor =
bridge has more than adequate bearing down to about note 35, then  the =
bridge starts to dive a bit so that the bottom of the tenor bridge has =
minimal bearing except when you factor in the tied string problem.  The =
board has minimal crown.  The bass bridge already has way too much =
bearing and I'm building up the rest area in front of the hitch pin by a =
fair amount to offset this.  I don't really want to reset the plate if I =
don't have to.   So, as I stated in my post to Jon Page's response.  =
What is the better compromise.

  David Love

I see.

One other thought comes to mind; is it possible to grind down the back =
bearing bar/rest slightly? If not, I'd be inclined to go with it as is. =
The string bearing of a few individual strings is rarely that big a =
deal.=20

Del