Tuning Hammer and Technique for Novice

Bill Ballard yardbird@pop.vermontel.net
Mon, 17 Jun 2002 00:07:18 -0400

At 4:54 PM -0500 6/16/02, SUSAN P SWEARINGEN wrote:
>Another complaint I have heard is that people don't want to have to
>learn two hammer techniques since >the impact hammer is not suitable
>to grands, only to verticals.  I felt the same way until I had
>Mike >Swendsen of Canada make me a T-impact hammer for grands.  This
>hammer works beautifully and Mike >did a wonderful job in designing
>it.  Yes, you have to carry two different hammers in your kit, but
>that >hasn't been an issue at all for me.

The fling which your fingers give the the impact centrifuge is simply
oriented to a different plane by the wrist, moving from vertical to
grand. The arm, from the wrist up, is generally not involved in the
generation of force being thrown into the system, so it can be where
ever it (and the wrist) will feel most comfortable. Thanks to the
efficiency of the system, the arm and wrist can be comfortable and
let the finders do all the work.

In practice, the extent to which this is workable is a matter of
tuning pin torque. The impact approach is wonderful at being able to
bounce a blow against the corners of the tuning pin and avoid, in the
process, any twisting or bending of the pin. These are the aspects of
the mechanics of tuning which degrade the accuracy required by the
stability of the tuning. Impacting minimizes them.

However, another aspect of the tuning's mechanics is where the tuning
pin torque sits, in the range between mushy to noticeably two-phased,
through tight-gripped to snapping. The fling of impacting is nearly
useless to gage once the pinblock grip falls below that threshold
amount which overcomes the block's grip on the deep end of the pin.
This is generally around 50-60 "/#. At higher levels of pin torque,
the amount of torque surplus to the threshold level, which in the
non-impact, firm-gripped approach is simply thrown into pin twisting
and bending. Not only is that a potential liability, it's also a
waste of energy.

In the impact approach, the process of overcoming the pin twist is
still there, only this time instantaneous (or at least faster than
human perception). The immediate amount of force required to overcome
the block's friction grip is quickly applied, and the surplus goes
directly to the turning the pin.

The real challenge in learning the impact approach is how the results
change as this point of "break-free" droops lower and lower.
Remember, the hand has contact only when it's throwing the handle,
and not at the point of impact. So the hand has no idea which that
"break-free" amount is, which is spent up front, and as a result, the
proportions of the "entry fee" and the remainder which actually does
the work. As the pin torque continues to droop lower, tuning gets to
be more and more like striding across ice in ball-bearing boots. Lots
of unexpected motion.

Not that I especially like tow-torque tuning, but some of our most
stable pianos have surprisingly relaxed pinblock grip.

Look in the 2-3/91 PTJ for an article on the coordination of string
and tuning pin friction in the mechanics of tuning. (By me.) The
energy we put into the system is actually supplied to the tuning pin
friction with the hope that the surplus will overcome the string
friction, with enough remaining from that transaction to move the
string the desired amount. Impacting makes sure that extra amounts of
force don't get get stored (or more likely, wasted)in the springiness
of the pin and string. But you forfeit that direct contact with the
pin which informs you of the pinblock's grip.

Bill Ballard RPT
NH Chapter, P.T.G.

"I'll play it and tell you what it is later...."
     ...........Miles Davis