Single Strings and bearing

Mon, 17 Jun 2002 08:18:59 -0700

Yes, I realize that is the alternative.  The question is whether 'tis better
to maintain the theoretically perfect scaling with the tied strings having
less than perfect inclination on the bridge, or less perfect scaling with
better inclination on those few strings.  Lowering the plate is not an
option for a variety of reasons which I won't go into.

David Love

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jon Page" <jonpage@attbi.com>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: June 17, 2002 4:32 AM
Subject: Re: Single Strings and bearing

At 10:19 PM 6/16/2002 -0700, you wrote:
>The last six unisons on the tenor bridge are plain trichords.  Each is a
>different gauge: 18, 18 1/2, 19, 19 1/2, 20, 21.  Thus each unison consists
>of a bichord from one continuous piece of wire that goes around hitch pin
>and back to the tuning pin and one single string.  Because the wrap on the
>single string rests on the plate, it raises the core of the wire slightly
so
>that if you measure the angle of inclination toward the bridge, it is
>running downhill from the hitchpin to the bridge.  Thus, if you measure the
>bearing based on the single strings in the unison, the bearing measures
>negative.  The overall bearing on the bridge is still positive when all
>strings are taken into consideration.  I am wondering if I might anticipate
>any problem, perhaps, from these single strings not seating properly.  Of
>course, the more I try to explain this, the more I'm inclined to just
forget
>about it.  But if you have any comments, please.
>
>David Love

If you mean the 'tie-off' or twisted portion of an added single plain wire
will sit
on the plate thus raising the wire and reducing the down bearing then by
simply installing two unisons each of 18, 19 & 20 will solve the all
concerns
in regards to like-sized wire on the unisons and downbearing. With no
alterations
done to the plate.

Would the inclusion of these half-sizes really be that much of an
improvement?
I doubt it.
Regards,

Jon Page,   piano technician