Today's Puzzler..WE HAVE A WINNER!

Phil Bondi tito@philbondi.com
Tue, 18 Jun 2002 08:04:10 -0400

Mike and/or Jane Spalding were the first to correctly identify weak rep
springs as the culprit..but I mustalso award a prize to Richard Brekne for
'fully' examining the situation...lemme 'splain:

Yes, the rep springs in question were not working properly, and adding
tension to the springs made the problem go away...but...the particular note
in question also had a somewhat low rep lever, causing the jack to catch on
the knuckle instead of releasing back to its correct position.

So..I feel obligated to cut the coveted used felt mute wedge in 2..

Richard, to answer your first question about someone dinking with the
action....not the case..here's the scenario:

- Wurlitzers of this vintage have a history of tight jack flanges(right
Roger?)

 - The customer does not feel obligated to pay for these types of repairs
since he feels it is a warranty issue

 - the dealership who sold the piano also feels the issue is warranty, but
since Baldwin is not honoring warranty claims, the dealership will pay for a
'big repair', but to nickle and dime this dealership for this particular
problem is not a good thing, since they still feed me work

 - I feel this is something _I_ should have caught while tuning this piano,
so yesterday's charges were $0.00..that makes the owner happy, the
dealership happy, and I'm happy that I am finally giving away the felt mute
strip!

-Phil Bondi (Fl.)
tito@philbondi.com