Today's Puzzler..WE HAVE A WINNER!

Susan Kline sckline@attbi.com
Tue, 18 Jun 2002 09:02:00 -0700

Oops, I sent off my answer before noticing that you already
had two winners -- however ...............

Seems to me that you didn't have a weak rep spring; you had a
seizing center pin in the rep lever. The fallboard may say "Wurlitzer",
but you have identified it as a Samick. They are prone to failing
center pin plating. I've taken a couple of photos of a (vintage) Samick
wippen lying on a table with the jack sticking its tongue out
through the totally seized rep lever.

"This piano has a history of tight jacks" corroborates. Usually,
of course, the hammers fail first. They start by working pretty
well when cold, but seize up as the friction of playing warms them.
At first they seem just a little slow to return, and then they
stop repeating well, and finally, they hang in air.

If one rep lever is seizing, can a few more be far behind? And
you may find that a few dampers start mysteriously hanging
up. No point in  over-easing the damper guide rail bushing at
that point, if it's a seized underlever flange.

If this seems like a logical scenario, take out the most offending
part, remove the center pin, and examine it under magnification.
If the nickel plating is failing, you'll see it is scored through to
the brass on the contact areas.

If this is the case, your customer is right. It's definitely a
warranty issue, and like a bad penny, it comes back over and over
and over again.

Oh, have FUN!!!!

Susan