innovative upright action

ANRPiano@AOL.COM ANRPiano@AOL.COM
Tue, 18 Jun 2002 18:13:37 EDT

I had a customer bring by the action of the piano he is refinishing.  He
wanted me to replace the bridal straps, dampers, etc.  This action includes
one very unique feature which I, in my limited experience, (15 years) do not
remember seeing before except on a certain west coast action.  There is a
spring connecting the jack and hammer butt to speed the return of the jack
under the butt.  The spring is about the length and shape of the hammer
return spring and it is connected to the butt by means of a silk thread
attached behind the jack felt on the butt.  There is also a slot in the jack
for the silk to pass through in order to connect to the spring.  At the bass
of the jack is a spring tensioner.  The piano is a Chickering Bros. (the
Chicago branch of the family) apparently from the early part of the century.

BTW from the best I could tell this system worked as I imagined it was
intended to work.  The jack did reset before the hammer returned to a full
rest.

Has anyone seen one of these before?  I have seen a number of Chickering
Bros. pianos and they all seem to be well built, often with "unique"
features.  It seems the experimentation bug was genetic.

Andrew Remillard