Shank excess

Nichols nicho@lascruces.com
Tue, 18 Jun 2002 23:05:43 -0600

Phil,
         Using a standard 20" shank clamp and 50 grit (or tired 36 grit)on
a 4-6" air (or electric) right angle rotary grinder/sander, the entire
operation of removing shank ends and perfectly shaping the tails is a dusty
10 minutes. Nicely squared to the back checks, no burn marks, felt lines
that avoid the custom boring, and no checkering files needed.
         Under 50 bucks for the grinder/sander. 'Bout the same for the
clamp.  Air is a lot quieter. For more bucks a Roto-Zip with a right angle
attachment works, and lets you see the progress easily, and can be used for
lots of other stuff. (Basically a Dremel on steroids)
         Register for the rebuilding skills workshop in Chicago and see it
again. Last year we dusted half the room! (and made a bit of noise,
too..... sorry)
    I didn't invent this method, but I've used no other since.

Guy Nichols, RPT
Ft. Stinkin' Desert, NM

At 04:22 PM 6/18/02 -0500, you wrote:
>I would love to hear some of the methods for trimming excess grand shanks.
>It's always been a struggle for me. I've used hand jigsaws, small drum
>sanders, flexblades from Bill Spurlock, etc. Years ago I had a dremel rotary
>saw blade that worked well, but it seems to be no longer available. How do
>you do it?
>
>Thanks
>
>Phil Frankenberg
>Chico Ca.

"Things are more like they are now than they ever were before."
         -Former U.S. President Dwight D. Eisenhower