Shank excess

Erwinspiano@AOL.COM Erwinspiano@AOL.COM
Tue, 18 Jun 2002 21:37:11 EDT

In a message dated 6/18/2002 5:29:05 PM Pacific Standard Time,
rinkyd@pacbell.net writes:

> Hi Phil

    I use the small Japanese pull saw by shark.  I do all my boring tapering
tailing prep and hammer weights prior to hanging. Once hung they don't come
off again. I turn the action over backwards with the strike point against the
table. I then clamp on a shank clamp with a facing of rubber or cork and
clamp them tight. I then use a dedicated to shank trimming only blade and
simply saw at and angle or as straight as I can slowly sawing thru one or
more shanks at a time until all are amputated. Then I move the jig etc.and do
the rest. The small amount of shank left is easily removed with a small belt
sander with the shanks propped up as close to the shank as possible. This
whole procedure gives a factory looking finish job and the belt sanding can
smooth up small irregularities in the tail alignment that occur in the
hanging process.
  It takes about 15 minutes. I don't however like this job but I know of no
other way that suits my protocol. Lately I'm not likin a lot of jobs but hey
it's summer.
   Best--- Dale Erwin
   PS tthe rotary dremel is scary to me I've tried it. I like my fingers.