innovative upright action

Bdshull@AOL.COM Bdshull@AOL.COM
Wed, 19 Jun 2002 05:25:55 EDT

Andrew,

I have an 1890's Chickering and Sons 79B upright with the Schwander butt and
brass rail with the same secondary jack spring.  The first piano I owned with
this spring was a turn-of-the-century Bechstein upright.  This was a very
responsive action, although I suspect it wasn't because of the extra spring.
 Dolge's book has drawings which have the spring on Schwander and Langer
actions of the 19th century.   Mason and Hamlin had their own take on the
idea using a leaf spring;  I had a "Screwstringer" with this.

Greater minds than mine have expressed skepticism over this spring.  If the
idea is to return the jack quickly the coil-type jack spring also found on
these actions     does a sufficient job.  Getting the jack back under the
hammer butt is one thing;  maintaining some kind of perpetual engagement of
the two parts, which the grand repetition comes closest to doing, is not
accomplished by this design.  The Fandrich/Trivelas action does this, and I
can't see how any of these auxiliary springs function to maintain engagement.

It is interesting, though, that most of these actions with auxiliary jack
springs have the Schwander butt spring, a weaker spring which results in a
less rapid return of the hammer to rest.  This could keep the hammer/butt
assembly engaged with the jack, which may be one reason why these actions
seem responsive.  But the extra spring doesn't seem to me to do anything
different than the coil spring.  If so, it was sure a lot of trouble for
nothing.

Any other thoughts on this spring?

Bill Shull, RPT