Shank excess

A440A@AOL.COM A440A@AOL.COM
Wed, 19 Jun 2002 06:46:18 EDT

>> I would love to hear some of the methods for trimming excess grand shanks.
>> It's always been a struggle for me. I've used hand jigsaws, small drum
>> sanders, flexblades from Bill Spurlock, etc. Years ago I had a dremel
> rotary
Greetings,
    I prefit my hammers to the shanks, then when gluing up in the jig.  I use
the veterinarian's "nail clippers" to cut off the excess on each shank, right
before I remove the hammer to put the glue goes on.  I cut them as close to
the back of the hammer's core as possible and it helps me put the hammer on
exactly where it needs to be before I drop it back into the jig.  I still use
the disc sander to shape tails,(to scribed lines indicating half shank-length
radii), and it cleans up any excess.
REgards,
Ed Foote