Black Finish

Jon Page jonpage@attbi.com
Wed, 19 Jun 2002 07:11:30 -0400

At 11:09 PM 6/18/2002
>Hi Hazen -
>
>Sounds like you are using solvent-based finish and applied too many/too
>heavy coats in too short a time.  You still have a 'soft belly' that
>needs further curing.  Seven days 'should' be enough to minimize marking.
>
>Alternatively, you could insert a couple screws in the hinge end, hang
>the lid from those screws, and spray all sides at once.  Or, after
>spraying the top and the sides in a horizontal position, wait a day or
>two and insert a few screws in the hinge end and rest that end on the
>floor such that only one single point at the top of the finished side
>will be leaning against a wall.  The other side can then be sprayed in a
>vertical position with VERY little marking of the finished side.  Avoid
>using any padding, as it will surely leave bigger, deeper marks.
>
>Mark Potter
>bases-loaded@juno.com

Leaning the lid against the wall will prevent adequately coating the edges
of the lid.
This is an area all too often neglected.  Treat the edges like any other
surface.
Attention to detail is what separates a superb job from the majority of
jobs out there.

Years ago, I rented out a small grand for an event. I needed to spiff it up
so I sprayed two
quick coats of black undercoat in the early morning. I moved it at noon and
there were no
dolly imprints.

I've sprayed several healthy coats on the bass side of a piano one day,
rubbed it out the next and moved it...no imprints.

Today's Puzzler... what's the material ?  (Hint: It's a water-based acrylic)

Regards,

Jon Page,   piano technician
Harwich Port, Cape Cod, Mass.
mailto:jonpage@attbi.com