Black Finish

Tue, 18 Jun 2002 23:09:57 -0400

On Tue, 18 Jun 2002 22:14:50 -0400 hazenbannister@cs.com writes:
> Hi list,
>  I have a grand piano being sprayed black.How can you spray one side
> of the lid, and turn over without messing the other side up?  We had
> it sitting on a blanket,and it left an indentation,after three days
> of drying.We have it now sitting on finishing nails,as it will only
> mess up a small area.  I have never had this problem
> before.Everything we've tried has left a mark on the finish.
> Thanks,
> Hazen Bannister

Hi Hazen -

Sounds like you are using solvent-based finish and applied too many/too
heavy coats in too short a time.  You still have a 'soft belly' that
needs further curing.  Seven days 'should' be enough to minimize marking.

Alternatively, you could insert a couple screws in the hinge end, hang
the lid from those screws, and spray all sides at once.  Or, after
spraying the top and the sides in a horizontal position, wait a day or
two and insert a few screws in the hinge end and rest that end on the
floor such that only one single point at the top of the finished side
will be leaning against a wall.  The other side can then be sprayed in a
vertical position with VERY little marking of the finished side.  Avoid
using any padding, as it will surely leave bigger, deeper marks.

Mark Potter
bases-loaded@juno.com