Black Finish

Jon Page jonpage@attbi.com
Wed, 19 Jun 2002 08:41:22 -0400

At 07:41 AM 6/19/2002 -0400, you wrote:

>On Wed, 19 Jun 2002 07:11:30 -0400 Jon Page <jonpage@attbi.com> writes:
> >
> > Leaning the lid against the wall will prevent adequately coating the
> > edges of the lid.
> > This is an area all too often neglected.  Treat the edges like any
> > other surface.
> > Attention to detail is what separates a superb job from the majority
> > of  jobs out there.
> >
>Hi Jon -
>
>You may have noticed in my post that first the top side of the lid AND
>all of the edges were sprayed with the lid in a horizontal position.  It
>is only leaned against the wall to do the bottom side after a couple days
>of curing.  I really fail to see how this will prevent adequately coating
>the edges.
>
>Mark Potter
>bases-loaded@juno.com

Edges or vertical surfaces in general require more, lighter coats than
horizontal surfaces.
More material can be applied to a horizontal area than a vertical surface
due to gravity
causing sags and drips.

The edges must be sprayed straight on, not just a diagonal application. For
instance a lid has
six 'surfaces' which need to have the spray direction focused:
Top and Bottom
Edge
Two outside corners
One inside corner (if it is a beveled edge)

A square prop stick has eight surfaces, four sides, four corners.

If the spray is not directed into the inside corners and onto the outside
corners you are
relying on 'overspray' to cover these areas.

Spray the inside and outside corners before spraying the larger flat
areas.  By doing this you are
insured of adequate material on the corners and areas on the perimeter.
Less chance of rubbing through.

This technique was shown to me by someone whom I consider to be the best
refinisher, Dave Koelzer.

It is by using these procedures that superior finishes are attained.  You
can not dissuade me.

I can look at a finish from a multitude of 'professional' piano refinishers
and point out the lack of
attention to detail. It's not that they don't try, it's just that they
don't know the best way and don't
want to learn because they already know it all.

Regards,

Jon Page,   piano technician
Harwich Port, Cape Cod, Mass.
mailto:jonpage@attbi.com