Don Quixote OT

Billbrpt@AOL.COM Billbrpt@AOL.COM
Wed, 19 Jun 2002 14:56:39 EDT

In a message dated 6/19/02 1:28:51 PM Central Daylight Time, GPRogers1 writes:

> >...I had a shot but missed at playing the role of Don Quixote, the crazed
> >idealist .........
> >
> >Bill Bremmer RPT
> >

> I'm not saying anything. :)
>
> David Severance

But by writing the above, you did.  There is one pathetic guy who has called
me Don Quixote several times, it only makes me laugh.  I liken it to the
British who thought they were taunting and mocking the Americans by calling
them "Yankee Doodle".  Instead, the revolutionaries turned their taunt into a
source of pride.

I would have loved to play that role but unfortunately, I'm not quite right
for the part.  The guy who got the role is taller and thinner than me, so he
looks more appropriate.  But what a stick in the mud he is!  Afraid to sing a
couple of lines to fill in during a rehearsal where another actor was absent
because "it might throw him off".  Sheesh.  The guy can barely sing and the
acting has no spirit.

I say, if you're going to play Don Quixote, you'd better darn well have a
crazy side to what you do.  He will have the show stolen from him by the far
more lively sidekick, Sancho and the voluptuous woman who is playing
Dulcinea.  I'll do what I can to steal the applause from him too.

That's what competition in business is all about.  Being better than those
who compete with you.  Being a good piano technician is all about having a
good set of skills and using them well, not trying to blend in with the
lowest common denominator, learning only one way to do things and repeating
errors and substandard craftsmanship for the rest of your life.

Don't call me Don Quixote or you might get what you wish for!

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin