Pleyel from 1869

Stephen Birkett sbirkett@real.uwaterloo.ca
Thu, 20 Jun 2002 00:37:58 -0400

Cy wrote:

>It's beautiful!  I particularly like the tone of the first treble note.
>What size is the piano?  Wooden frame, or metal plate?  To my (untrained)
>ear, it doesn't sound like typical low tension fortepiano strings (was the
>tension raised in the rescaling?).

Not low tension by that time. Even by the 1830s string tension on French
pianos was pretty high. Typical Pleyel composite frame was wrought iron
wrestplank plate, hitchpin plate (big) and tension bars, more before they
changed to T bars around 1850.  They didn't change to cast frame till very
late n the century. No need really.

Stephen

Stephen Birkett Fortepianos
Authentic Reproductions of 18th and 19th Century Pianos
464 Winchester Drive
Waterloo, Ontario
Canada N2T 1K5
tel: 519-885-2228