Black Finish

Thu, 20 Jun 2002 05:55:00 -0400

On Thu, 20 Jun 2002 00:03:26 -0400 Kdivad@AOL.COM writes:
> Mark, please explain any other technique besides putting enough
> paint on the corners of a piano that works, what other ways are
> there to skin a cat?  What does shop size, work load, material and
> personal preferences have to do with it?

David -

Naturally, putting enough paint on is a prerequisite.  A good finisher
does this intuitively.  One naturally angles your gun to ensure adequate
coverage.  But it was stated that not enough material would be applied to
the edges if a lid's top side and edges were sprayed in the horizontal
postion, and later the underside sprayed while the lid was sitting
vertically, propped against a wall or bench or whatever a shop's layout
allows.  My only point was that with the slightest amount of common
sense, plenty of material can be applied to all edges to allow for a
successful rub out.

Shop size can certainly dictate how you treat the larger pieces, whether
by hanging or propping or doing one side and waiting a few days for the
other, etc...  Large shops have luxuries that smaller, cramped shops do
not, especailly in terms of moving freshly finished pieces around, away
from the finishing area.  And one's work load might indicate a procedure
that has you waiting a week before turning over a lid, because you are
not getting back to spraying till then anyway, or because there is not
any rush to finish the job.  When there IS a rush, of course a different
approach can be employed.  If you are awake, and are attentive to detail,
you can do a top notch job in an endless variety of ways.

But yes, there always has to be enough paint!

'Nuff said....

Mark Potter
bases-loaded@juno.com