spinet stickers

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@cox.net
Thu, 20 Jun 2002 12:27:58 -0500

>It's not that the cross piece is glued on crookedly. The entire shaft of
>the sticker is rotated toward the bass. If I tried to move the top of
>the sticker, it would interfere with the adjoining sticker before it fit
>over its own capstan. Newton's idea of burning the shank will probably
>be the cheapest solution. I'll let you all know how that works when I
>get back to that piano again.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Bob Anderson

Burning works. You will have to remove the stickers and hold one end in a
vise or clamp unless you have someone helping. And as a last resort, if you
have to make really drastic changes in the direction the finger points, you
can do something I have resorted to a time or two on severely warped keys I
couldn't get to straighten any other way. With a razor saw or other fine
toothed saw, cut a long shallow angle diagonal kerf on the back side of the
sticker (most of it's length), just short of going all the way through. Mop
in some glue, and clamp it until it sets up. Finger rotation direction is
determined by kerf angle direction. Rotation amount determined by kerf
width, or number of kerfs.

Ron N