SAMA Rebuilders - Followup

Gary Bruce Gary.Bruce@oc.edu
Thu, 20 Jun 2002 16:43:42 -0500

List,

This is a followup on my experience with SAMA rebuilders in Jaurez.  I sent them a 48" Gulbransen baby grand in March for a rebuild; new stings, damper heads refinished and new damper felt, soundboard repaired & refinished, new pinblock, hammers/shanks/flanges, key bushings, keybed felt, ivory repair.  In general, very good work.  Great plate refinishing, nice even stringing, good pinblock fit.  Hammer line correct, hammer shank travel quite acceptable.  Front rail key bushings a little loose for me but consistent.  may require some tightening when dryer weather comes.  Keys are level and square.  Good ivory matching and polishing.  Regulation acceptable.  Exactly three months from delivery to return.  I'm very pleased and look forward to sending a refinish job and rebuild soon.

Only complaint was the 24 hour notice for return delivery.  I had to reschedule my day to receive.  No biggy but I'm going to ask SAMA to notify me when they ship, since it takes about 5-6 days once they ship for it to arrive to me.  Keyboard Carriage picked up and delivered right on time(actually a little early) both ways.  Cost was $214 from here to there and $209 back.  Why the difference, I don't know.

Gary Bruce, RPT