Good tools for a beginner

James T. Gammon jtg5f@virginia.edu
Thu, 20 Jun 2002 18:13:36 -0400

Many apologies if this post is inappropriate -

   I am interested in learning to tune pianos.  I am aware that this is =
a fairly complex skill.  I have just bought "Piano Servicing, Tuning, =
and Rebuilding" by Arthur Reblitz, and have started reading that.  I =
need to get some tools for tuning, like wedges and a tuning lever, and =
no local music store that I've talked to has them.  Is there a good =
place to get them online, and can anyone recommend a certain brand?  =
Also, aside from reading this book, how should I go about learning this =
new skill?  I have seen some of the distance learning courses online, =
but I don't have $1400 to spend right now.  Is there someone willing to =
teach me, or who can recommend a teacher to me?  I live in the =
Washington DC area.  Thanks!

    James Gammon