Good tools for a beginner

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Thu, 20 Jun 2002 21:10:56 -0400

Nothing inappropriate about it. Welcome!

If you don't want/can't/planning on attending a good school, I recommend:  http://www.pianotuning.com/  Randy Potter School of Piano Technology.

I took the course. It is very complete, up to date, and top notch. Anything good costs money. Don't know of any less expensive way to do it. Everything, and I mean EVERYTHING, you need to know to start in this business is in that course.

Terry Farrell

----- Original Message -----
From: "James T. Gammon" <jtg5f@virginia.edu>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Thursday, June 20, 2002 6:13 PM
Subject: Good tools for a beginner

Many apologies if this post is inappropriate -

   I am interested in learning to tune pianos.  I am aware that this is a fairly complex skill.  I have just bought "Piano Servicing, Tuning, and Rebuilding" by Arthur Reblitz, and have started reading that.  I need to get some tools for tuning, like wedges and a tuning lever, and no local music store that I've talked to has them.  Is there a good place to get them online, and can anyone recommend a certain brand?  Also, aside from reading this book, how should I go about learning this new skill?  I have seen some of the distance learning courses online, but I don't have $1400 to spend right now.  Is there someone willing to teach me, or who can recommend a teacher to me?  I live in the Washington DC area.  Thanks!

    James Gammon