Good tools for a beginner

kam544@gbronline.com kam544@gbronline.com
Tue, 25 Jun 2002 23:17:37 -0500

http://www.pianosupply.com/

>and can anyone recommend a certain brand?

That's a tough call as there are so many brands and styles.

>Also, aside from reading this book, how should I go about learning
>this new skill?

Attend Piano Technician Guild Chapter meetings closest to you in your
area for the best possible initial exposure to the world of piano
tuning, and the skills and the tools needed to perform the job.
Association with others practicing the trade is indispensable in my
book.

>I have seen some of the distance learning courses online, but I
>don't have $1400 to spend right now.  Is there someone willing to
>teach me, or who can recommend a teacher to me?  I live in the
>Washington DC area.  Thanks!
>
>     James Gammon

Enlisting a private tutor or teacher will be a rare thing to find
without there being some type of mutual benefit for them to take the
time. Sharing ideas and information, however, is another matter. Here
on Pianotech and at a chapter meeting you will be able to explore,
and maybe find the answers to these other questions of yours.

Sincerely,

Keith McGavern
Registered Piano Technician
Oklahoma Chapter 731