Don Quixote and Opening Ceremony-Ron Koval, not (OT)

Billbrpt@AOL.COM Billbrpt@AOL.COM
Fri, 21 Jun 2002 00:18:45 EDT

In a message dated 6/20/02 10:52:54 PM Central Daylight Time, Tvak@AOL.COM
 writes:

> Actually, since I'll be playing some Schoenberg and other 12-tone serial
> music, we all agreed that any tuning other than ET would distort the
> composer's intent.

Yes, it would but it might make it sound more like music.  Bye the way, the
Man of La Mancha score sounds good in every respect in EBVT.  The guitar
player we had last time is on the list to call.  The first thing I will do is
try my numbers again and see if the guitarist and I have the same opinion
about the results as we did last time.  (The Director of the *professional*
opera company encouraged and approved of the idea).

For those who think I have but one egocentric agenda I have a few questions.
Why should I be tuning the piano and guitar in ET for this project?  Why
shouldn't I do what I am doing?  Would I have anything in particular to talk
about if I were doing it all in ET?  What would or should be my motivation to
think like you and behave like you just so you wouldn't have any reason to
have a negative opinion about what I do or how I do it?

I would encourage Ron Koval to ask if he could do the tuning for the Opening
Ceremony and seek permission to do the kind of temperament and octave
arrangeement he feels would make the piano sound best for the kind of music
you will be playing.  This would be over, above and beyond the temperament
class and Ron's other demp project.  I don't think there is any valid reason
to mandate ET for this tuning and I don't think it constitutes a pushy,
egocentrical agenda to propose it and discuss it.

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin