Brand new 1953 Winter spinet

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Fri, 21 Jun 2002 11:18:01 EDT

In a message dated 6/20/02 8:02:10 PM Central Daylight Time, Tvak@AOL.COM
writes:

> Were they as terrible back then as they are now, or did they just degrade
> horribly over time?  Did they have false beats in every note in the top 3
> octaves?  A tenor break you could hear down the block?  Bass bichords that
> can only approximate a unison?  Little or no sustain anywhere?
>
> Or were they acceptable pianos that just got worse (and worse) as time went
> by?

Although these pianos were not made very well, they served the needs of
America at the time. New homes were being built by the millions, and they
were usually much smaller than before. So small pianos needed to be made to
fit in those homes. Yes, they might not have been the best, but don't forget,
if it weren't for all those spinets, most of us wouldn't have a job. It is
what sustained the piano industry for a generation.

Are the new pianos any better? As was the case back in the 50's, there were
good pianos and there were no so good pianos. The new pianos from China and
Indonesia, not to mention Russia, are in some instances much worse. But, they
fill a need. We might not think they are much to work on, but customers are,
for the most part, happy with them. They do not hear the false beats, the bad
tenor/bass break, the sloppy action.

The bottom line is that we have work to do. And for that, we should be
grateful. And that is why we're getting together next week, to learn to work
on these "instruments."

See you guys next week.

Wim