clothing

Greg Newell gnewell@ameritech.net
Fri, 21 Jun 2002 14:41:44 -0400

OK fuddy duddy, you asked for it! But seriously, many of us tuners do far
to much inside the piano to wear what you wear and not destroy our clothing
on a regular basis. I don't know what your charging for services but there
is no way on earth I could absorb all that extra. Nice slacks and a button
down shirt with casual shoes and hopefully socks that match :-) is
perfectly fine and acceptable and in my experience puts the customer more
at ease with me. This is usually how they answer the door in these parts so
to be dressed like them puts us at ease with each other. A Good piano
technician can and should wear what he's comfortable WORKING in. Less than
a suit and tie does not make him or her less of a technician. For those of
the fairer sex, would you be comfortable going out on appointments in a
floor length gown? I think not. In short, Cliff, what's good for you is
fine, for you, but it certainly doesn't make me less of a technician
because I don't conform to someone else's dress code.

Greg Newell

P.S. this is not addressed specifically to you Cliff but the list in general.

At 01:52 PM 6/21/2002, you wrote:
>Tex,
>
>While servicing a 1953 Acrosonic on Tuesday, I came across a pamphlet that
>Baldwin apparently included with the piano.  In it there was section about
>service, tuning and how to choose a technician.  The accompanying picture
>(drawing) showed a tuner at someone's door wearing a double-breasted suit,
>doffing a chapeau, and carrying what appeared to be a doctor's bag.
>
>While times have changed, I don't think this image is terribly far off
>from the impression a good piano technician should offer.  Call me a fuddy
>duddy, but I wear dress pants, dress shirt, and tie.  I try to keep the
>shoes shined.
>
>After all, piano doctors still make house calls.
>
>Cliff Lesher
>Winfield, PA
>From: Wimblees@AOL.COM
>Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2002 11:10:06 EDT
>To: pianotech@ptg.org
>Subject: Re: clothing
>
>In a message dated 6/20/02 4:43:36 PM Central Daylight Time,
>grandrestorations@yahoo.com writes:
>

>I wear a short sleeved work shirt
>(happens to be light blue, other colors would
>work) on which I had embroidered my first name
>above one pocket and a grand piano with the
>company name above the other pocket.
>

>I see that others wear your name on the shirt, in some form or another. I
>am sorry, but to me that brings our profession down to the level of a
>janitor, plumber or auto mechanic. I can see the plastic name tag, used by
>doctors. But anything embroidered on a shirt, to me, is "low class." We
>are supposed to be high class people, invited into not only the home, but
>usually in the best room of the home. I want to present myself as
>professionally as possible, and an embroidered shirt just doesn't cut it.
>
>Just my view
>
>Wim

Greg Newell
mailto:gnewell@ameritech.net