removing plate

JIMRPT@AOL.COM JIMRPT@AOL.COM
Fri, 21 Jun 2002 15:37:55 EDT

In a message dated 21/06/02 3:26:12 PM, Wimblees@AOL.COM writes:

<< I have to take the plate out of grand piano. I don't have a hoist, and I
don't have two other people to help me. >>

Wim;
 Caught in the same situation a couple of times......
This will work but be very careful and move slowly...OK?
 Site/block the piano such that it can't roll around/away.
 After removing plate bolts raise each end/side of the plate and place small
blocks under it.....keep repeating the process until the plate is about three
inches above the rim....slide two long 2X4 or 2X6 under the plate until they
are past the rim on the other side........fasten these boards so that they
are spread apart enough to balance the plate and won't move sideways away
from each other...............raise these boards until they are supporting
the plate....tilt them and sloooowly lower the plate to the

Clear enough??
Jim Bryant (FL)