company name

Greg Newell gnewell@ameritech.net
Fri, 21 Jun 2002 17:04:26 -0400

Charles et all,
         I decided early on to give the business a name because I may not
always be the only one doing any service work for my business. It also
covers me if I change the thrust of the business from mostly tuning and
service to mostly service and tuning. It does include my first name but
that I don't think is a hindrance at all. I have a few who are pleasantly
surprised that I feel their important enough to me for me personally to
come out on THEIR piano. Never mind that the business is me and I am the
business. They don't need to know that. Another consideration I had was in
selling the business one day. I just may be easier if it's not so directly
tied to you alone. My two cents.

Greg Newell

At 03:24 PM 6/21/2002, you wrote:
>If you are self-employed and don't have partners in your business, which
>do you think is more effective for your company name: your own name, or a
>business-y name such as "Superb Piano Works" or "Piano-Toon"?
>
>I have heard people in the past claim that your own name sounds more
>personal. On the other hand, maybe customers prefer something with more
>distance, which might be more "official" in their eyes. I don't know.
>
>I notice that a lot of businesses have really boring-sounding names such
>as "American [whatever]", or "Mid-Island [whatever]". And putting the town
>name in the company name seems to be popular.
>
>Charles Neuman

Greg Newell
mailto:gnewell@ameritech.net