Separated back, part 2

John Ross jrpiano@win.eastlink.ca
Fri, 21 Jun 2002 23:02:41 -0300

Wim,
I completely disagree, with your last sentence, about no need to fix it, =
if it is not getting any worse.
It could just be on the verge of complete collapse.
It should be fixed as quickly as possible, and yes, just the bolts will =
work.
I use 1/2" carriage bolts, which I realize is overkill, but usually, the =
lag bolts I remove were 1/2", so the hole is already that size.
John M. Ross
Windsor, Nova Scotia.
jrpiano@win.eastlink.ca
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Wimblees@AOL.COM=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Friday, June 21, 2002 10:44 PM
  Subject: Re: Separated back, part 2

  In a message dated 6/21/02 11:59:23 PM !!!First Boot!!!, =
cedel@supernet.com writes:=20

    The board glued to the top of the piano above the pinblock (but =
under=20
    the lid) is split also, and partly loose, I suppose. =20

  Clyde=20

  If the top is partly split, before attempting any kind of fix, see if =
the separation is active, or if it is an old one. You say you tuned at =
50 c flat, and then 40 c flat. That would indicate it isn't going any =
where. What you want to do is measure the width of the crack at several =
places, but mostly at the ends. Also, draw a line at each end where the =
crack ends. Next year, see if there is an increase in the length of the =
crack and the width. If it hasn't gone any where, then this is an old =
crack, and there will be no need to fix it.=20

  Wim=20