windows xp

Greg Torres Tunapiana440@cox.net
Sun, 23 Jun 2002 14:40:17 -0500

Don,

I mentioned in an earlier post one of the other reasons that I have not =
gone to XP...I have certain hardware that will NEVER be compatible with =
WIN XP or 2K because of the chipset on the card itself. The company that =
makes the card can't do anything about it as it isn't a software issue. =
So, for me to go to XP would require me purchasing new hardware. Add =
that to the cost of XP itself as well as additional software I use that =
does not run as well as, if not at all, under XP...for me to upgrade to =
XP and have the same capabilities as I do now would run me well into the =
+ $1500.00 range...

Yes, I have heard of many who love XP and that's fine.  If XP works well =
for you that's great! I am just saying that it is not for everyone. I =
can do everything I need to do on my PC currently with WIN 98 SE and do =
it very well. But like I said, crashes and weird stuff can happen, with =
ANY OS and hardware...

I just don't like where things are headed with this =
activation/registration stuff and I find it intrusive, as well as =
offensive, that if I decided to upgrade ANYTHING on my computer, be it =
hardware or software, that I should be forced to "re-activate it" within =
30 days or give Microsoft ANY additional info about it. In my eyes they =
have no right to get ANY additional info from me other than the fact =
that I am a legit user of the software itself. So, the definition of =
"Spyware", in my mind, includes Microsoft XP.=20

FWIW, I also can leave my PC on for weeks at a time also under WIN 98 SE =
without any lockups and problems. When these things happen it is most =
likely because of a particular application causing a memory leak or =
something, or configuration issues. I know many people who have switched =
to XP and have switched back to 98 SE or 2K because they had major =
problems because of hardware/driver issues, software incompatibility, =
etc...YMMV

Best,
Greg Torres

=20