using fans, and PSOs

Clair Dunn cadunn@vt2000.com
Mon, 24 Jun 2002 05:20:09 -0500 (CDT)

Without a fan, I would be incapacitated in the summer. 99.9 percent
of the pianos I tune are uprights and I have a small round, tiltable
fan that sits on the floor slightly to the left of the left toe and
blows up at my side, with the strongest breeze *away* from the
piano.
If I didn't use a fan and still managed to tune, my body heat, only
a foot or so from the plate would melt the sucker! Never mind sweat
dripping on the keys and the finish :)))
O-- on another subject. . . I have heard about the "PSOs" and worked
on quite a few. But, I am with Bill and others on this one: If all I
had to do was work on new Steinways, Yamahas, Petrofs, etc. I would
not be in this business. And that is really true. The world of
Franklin County, Vermont is full of old pianos, providing an endless
stream of "wows", "I'll be darned", "I've never seen anything like
this before", "rats", "amazing", "incredible tone for an old
feller", etc.
Just yesterday I learned that a fine technician of 20+ years in our
area had never run across a straight strung spinet with a single
bridge and I had one in my shop! The thingee has ivory keys
(perfect) as well. And, for a spinet, it's not bad sounding at all.
If you are curious, I posted pics on the web. (They are a bit large
because I wanted detail (20 and 40 sec at 2400 respectively).
http://www.vt2000.com/cps/winter1.jpg

http://www.vt2000.com/cps/winter2.jpg

Cheers,
Clair