Slow hammer return

David Ilvedson ilvey@sbcglobal.net
Mon, 24 Jun 2002 14:16:16 -0700

Protek!  Most supply house have it.  It works most of the time.

David I.
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Arthur Chickering
  To: pianotech@ptg.org
  Sent: Monday, June 24, 2002 8:37 AM
  Subject: Slow hammer return

  List,
  I have a customer with a 1921 Steinway Upright with very slow hammer return, which I think was caused by a floor humidifier.  I  heated the hammer butt centers with a hair dryer, which freed up the hammers for about 1 hour. The questions is what do you think is the most reliable way to free up sluggish hammers without replacing center pins or parts?  Should I use silicone and naptha, alcohol and methanol or install a Dammp-Chaser heater bar with a humidistat?

  Thanks,
  Arthur