Slow hammer return

Susan Kline sckline@attbi.com
Mon, 24 Jun 2002 16:50:02 -0700

At 09:30 AM 6/25/2002 +1000, you wrote:
>The questions is what do you think is the
>most reliable way to free up sluggish hammers without replacing center
>pins or parts?

I submit that while various lubricants may free the action
for awhile, good repinning will not only free it but improve it,
for a lot longer time than lubricants, and without leaving
any goo in the action. Alcohol wouldn't leave any goo either, but
on the other hand if you're not careful with it, you'll ruin
the leathers.

Repinning will not only adjust for the sluggishness (which may
come from other attempts to lubricate) but also for different
wear in different parts. It would give you a chance to improve
your pinning skills and speed, and also give you a lot of
experience at spacing and travelling hammers. (Yes, I know,
overwhelm me with your enthusiasm for this idea!)

Of course, if the verdigris is really bad, neither pinning
nor lubrication will be a long term solution.

Susan