Value of S&S L

Erwinspiano@AOL.COM Erwinspiano@AOL.COM
Mon, 24 Jun 2002 21:09:33 EDT

In a message dated 6/24/2002 12:39:42 PM Pacific Standard Time,
ptuner@optonline.net writes:

<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE style="BORDER-LEFT: #0000ff 2px solid; MARGIN-LEFT:
5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px">Subj:Value of S&S L
Date:6/24/2002 12:39:42 PM Pacific Standard Time
From:<A HREF="mailto:ptuner@optonline.net">ptuner@optonline.net</A>
To:<A HREF="mailto:pianotech@ptg.org">pianotech@ptg.org</A>
Sent from the Internet

     Matt
  Your question is a multi -faceted sticky wicket.
    Assumne the piano is a completely  remanufactured standard Stwy L (
regooderized or whatever) new belly job,finish action etc. primo. The answer
of value will vary depending on how affluent your market is. In the S. F. bay
region I'd ask 30k or more depending on black or brown and the state of the
current economy which is hurt some right now.
    Many ,myself included don't care  much for players because when the
player aspect  is thrown in to the evaluation equation many serious piano
buyers/players will pass. The case is longer than a standard L  to accomadate
the player mechanism and is rather funky looking. If the whole thing is
restored, player and all, and I mean first class ,It's possible the value
would be the same as the standard L but the investment would be greater
because of the expense to rebuild the player as well as the usual stuff. But
as with any thing marketing is everything and it only takes one right buyer .
However I find the kind of person in the player market usually a bit
different (eccentric?)
  If it's Restored with out the player IMHO its value is quite a bit less
than the standard case Stwy L because of its odd size and now non-original
configuration.
  The only plus I see in these pianos is that the key sticks are about 3 or
more inches longer and they play like the wind and without all the leading of
a shorter key. Tonally there the same and yes it's still a Stwy from the
1920's.
   Does this help. This is of course is Just My opinion And You should hear
from a player guy on this as well and keep in mind  players are not my cup o
tea.

.
I'm doing an insurance appraisal of an S&S model L c. 1926.

Would anyone hazard an opinion of the retail value of such a piano in fully
rebuilt condition both with and without the reproducing player.

Thanx -Matt
</BLOCKQUOTE>