RCT 100 cent pitch raise

Tvak@AOL.COM Tvak@AOL.COM
Mon, 24 Jun 2002 23:43:10 EDT

When I come across a piano that is 100 cents flat, I usually sample Bb4
instead of A4 on my RCT.  I sample all the Bbs instead of the As.  Does this
throw off the tuning then created by RCT?  I mean, the computer thinks that
the Bb is an A and creates a tuning based on that.  But when I tune that A
I'm actually using the data from the Bb.

Let's take this one step removed.  In an aural tuning, what would result if
you used the same beat rates normally used on the temperament octave F3 to F4
to tune the temperament octave C4 to C5?
I haven't tried this, but certainly the intervals would be distorted (from
ET).  If C4 to E4 beat at the same rate as F3 to F4  it would be much too
narrow.  Most of the intervals I use in a temperament are expanded and they
would all be too narrow.

So even though it's only a 1/2 step it probably distorts the temperament
somewhat.  Now I can tune aurally, and I haven't noticed any problems using
the Bbs, but I wonder, what do you other RCT users do when the A4 doesn't
read?  Tune the A4 sharper, or use the Bb4?

Tom Sivak

P.S.
I guess I could ask Dean Reyburn this question in person later this week, but
what the hey?  What do all of you think?