Pitch Raise Questions

Mon, 24 Jun 2002 21:39:53 -0700

Anything over 4 cents will require a second tuning.  I found with the =
SAT III (when I was using it) that the pitch raise function needs to be =
modified slightly to accomodate different areas of the piano.  The =
standard pitch raise function overpulls by about 25% (if I recall).  The =
bass and low tenor need only about 15% overpull and the upper treble =
needs about 30-35%, tapering off at the very top.  So when using the =
overpull function on the SAT III, let the lights rotate left slightly at =
the lower end of the piano, stop them in the middle, and let them rotate =
slightly right at the upper end.  You will end up much closer to your =
goal.  Tune unisons as you go.

David Love

    I am currently a Randy Potter student with some questions about =
pitch=20
    raising.  When I measure the pitch of A4 with my SAT III, how low =
(in=20
    cents) should it be for me to need to perform a pitch raise?  Also, =
when=20
    performing a pitch raise, is it better to raise only the single =
strings=20
    all the way up, or should I raise all of the strings of each note as =
I=20
    go?=20

    Thanks,=20

    Don Palmire=20