Feeling the Hammers

A440A@AOL.COM A440A@AOL.COM
Tue, 25 Jun 2002 20:00:50 EDT

Stéphane  writes:

>I mean, if you feed loud white noise in one's ears, you just killed his
>ability to feel minute vibrations in his fingers.

   Um, are you sure about that?  The white noise contains all audible
frequencies, can one feel it that easily?  I have many times been on the
stage of a rock concert when the sound system was tested.  I readily feel the
bass system being tuned, but when they put on the white noise, I don't
remember feeling any particular vibration.  I always assumed it was because
it was so inclusive.  Anyhow,  maybe you would't need to add noise.  My point
was that if you take the aural signal out, so that only the tactile feedback
through the key was left, I would be surprised if one could tell the hardness
of the hammer by what the finger receives.

>And about the hammer voicing, why not try and put your head against the
>piano body, and see how accurately your front can feel the quality of shock
>vibrations caused by the stroke of a key (and all subsequent mechanical
>processes).  Then, find out by comparison, what goes from that information
>into the finger.

Please do so and let us know.  I would think that the head against the piano
body is a lot more entrained than the finger on the key!
REgards,
Ed Foote RPT