Square piano strings

Dave Doremus algiers_piano@bellsouth.net
Tue, 25 Jun 2002 18:24:18 -0500

I'm wondering if anyone has a source for softer music wire for an
1840 or so Chickering & Mackay square. I'm considering Rose C, but it
may not be strong enough. I'm not thrilled by the idea of the softer
stainless steels, it just doesnt seem appropriate. Any advice? Also,
how about a source for the thin woven cloth, both red and white, they
layered for the dampers in these instruments? Modern damper felt
sticks out like a sore thumb, especially if you want to keep as much
original material as humanly possible. Thanks as always,