Pitch Raise Questions

Tue, 25 Jun 2002 20:55:24 -0700

Kevin:

I'm actually using a Verituner now where the pitch raise function is a =
little different.  The Cybertuner has the best pitch raise function, =
IMO, because it has various overpull calculations built in for different =
sections of the piano and it also calculates based on a trailing average =
of the last several notes.  So if you have a somewhat random pattern of =
degrees of flatness from note to note, the trailing average will account =
for that and calculate the resulting increase in tension.  It allows you =
to do a fairly accurate one pass tuning with pitch raise. =20

David Love=20
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Kevin E. Ramsey=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: June 25, 2002 7:19 PM
  Subject: Re: Pitch Raise Questions

      David, that's good. I find that the bass needs about 20% overpull. =
When the machine finishes it's calculation it comes on at AO, right? I =
go up an octave to A1, look at the cents deviation, and measure how flat =
it is. Then I go to A2, which on most pianos is still on the bass =
bridge, and I measure how flat that note is. Then I do a quick =
calculation in my head to get the average cent value. Twenty percent is =
an easy figure to calculate. Say it's 32 cents flat; double that for a =
value of 64. Move the decimal point over one place and you have 6.4, =
which is twenty percent of 32. I adjust the machine to be 6.4 cents =
sharp, tune all the single strings and the non-muted bi-chords, pull out =
the strip and tune the unisons, and the bass will be dead on after the =
rest of the pitch raise process. (Of course, I always go through it a =
second time on the final pass, sheesh, I'm not a hack, after all.)=20
      Think about it, you might try it. Beats having the lights drift by =
an equal amount, but I know you've got your system too, and I respect =
that. This whole post was directly at the person who originally posted =
the question anyway.=20

  Kevin E. Ramsey
  ramsey@extremezone.com
    ----- Original Message -----=20