Feeling the Hammers

Richard Brekne richard.brekne@grieg.uib.no
Wed, 26 Jun 2002 12:16:13 +0200

Ed raises this point again, which I think Stéphane brought up as well yet I
cant quite bring myself to aggree. I have done the same very informal
experiment myself Ed, tho its hardly a controlled experiment in this form, and
have defininantly felt differerences in needling.

In my case, this consisted of brand new hammers unneedled, newly installed. I
took a portable CD player and put on some Ornette Coleman pretty loud, and
played 5 notes up from C4 a few times. Then pulled the action back and gave
these same 30 hits on each shoulder with 2 needles in my holder at 3-4 mm
depth. Basically just the first round in middle range needling.. or making the
cushion as Andre likes to think of it. Then played again and the change in feel
was unmistakeable.

But to be sure, for those who need convincing, or for those of us who need to
be shown we are wrong if that be the case... a truly controlled experiment to
demonstrate clearly the truth of the matter should be fashioned. It would have
to involve enough people to show whether a statistically significant number of
these individuals could or couldnt tell the difference for any conclusions to
be drawn.

 A440A@AOL.COM wrote:

>What I said was:  if you take the aural signal out, so that only the tactile
feedback
>through the key was left, I would be surprised if one could tell the hardness
of
>the hammer by what the finger receives.

> I just went into the shop and tried it, didn't seem to take.
>Anyone else try this in a controlled situation?
>Wondering,
>Ed

Richard Brekne
RPT NPTF