Square piano strings/Dave Dormus' ?

Joseph Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Wed, 26 Jun 2002 10:01:17 -0700

David,
Sorry for not answering the felt question. In my experience, a lot of the
"cloth" that was used on these instruments was, exactly that, cloth. My
"collector/restorer" has gone so far as to have a friend, visiting England
take a sample and scour the textile outlets of London, to find a close match
to the material that was used on the damper system of his 1805 Clementi.
What it turned out to be was a very loose weave fabric, wool. It has been
used and is acceptable for his piano. I might suggest the same approach. I'm
sure there is a whole new world, out there, when it comes to textiles!
Best Regards,
Joe Garrett, RPT, (Oregon)