historical tunings - in particular the Moore

Clair Dunn cadunn@vt2000.com
Thu, 27 Jun 2002 09:34:26 -0500 (CDT)

To Bill B., and all the others who have discussed historial
tunings on this list.

You thoroughly piqued my interest and so a few weeks ago I tried
one. I picked the Representative Victorian Well - Moore from the
list of historical tunings on RCT.
I am not an aural tuner, (except for unisons! :) so it was very easy
for me to try this.
I very casually checked some of the numbers against the ET and found
very small differences.
However, I did definitely hear a difference. I would like to know
more about the Moore temperament specifically if anyone has
information about it. I did read the info again on your site Bill (I
had read it before). Why is it called the Moore temperament and what
is the general consensus about the audible differences?
What struck *my* ears was a brighter tenor/treble section. Noticably
"crisper" and cleaner -- I know these are terribly subjective words,
but it's the best I can do.
Am I hearing right??

So, I want to extend my thanks to Bill Bremmer and the rest of you
folks for making me curious.
I actually tuned a customer's piano with the Moore yesterday. They
have two pianos--the daughter plays the fairly decent Lesage Console
and the husband plays the big old Ellington upright (1911). It was
the Ellington I tuned with the Moore. (--after I talked to my
customer about it. She deals in Victoriana and I thought she might
be interested--she was. But she's not going to tell her husband, to
see if he notices any differnce.) These are regular customers of
mine and the piano is in good shape and holds a tune well.
Anyway, thanks again.

Cheers,
Clair

Clair's Piano Service