Durham's Rock Hard Soundboard Putty

Tyler Smith macman@pathfinder.dnsalias.com
Thu, 27 Jun 2002 13:24:32 -0500

I was looking at a 5'-ish 1928 Chickering grand, rebuilt, the other
day. New hammers, strings, keytops refinished, et cetera and so on.
Plays very nicely. I like it.

The bridges have very small repaired cracks, seemingly well-done, and
so that settles whether or not it is a new soundboard...

Looking at the soundboard from the underside, it appears that the
rebuilder decided it was in good enough condition to not even require
repair. There are a few (around 4) narrow cracks here and there, no
sign of any shimming or anything similar.

Returning to the top of the piano, it seems that the cracks have been
filled in from the top with some sort of filler putty... What is
this? I've never heard recommendation for any procedure like this
before. Wouldn't putting putty in the cracks just encourage them to
get bigger but not smaller, or does the putty somehow "glue" the
cracked pieces together?

The putty in the soundboard seems to smack of corners cut, which goes
against the rest of the piano's good workmanship.

Anybody know anything about doing this?

-Tyler Smith