Just when you think you've seen everything...

Christopher D. Purdy purdy@oak.cats.ohiou.edu
Fri, 28 Jun 2002 15:56:15 -0400

>This morning I finished up the regulation of a 38 year old Baldwin
>L.  While attempting to regulate the damper upstop rail, I found
>that it wouldn't move.  I thought perhaps it was stuck with varnish.
>But no, a bright light revealed that some previous tuner must tired
>of regulating it, and actually had driven 5 small nails into it to
>hold it into place!  Fortunately he didn't hammer the headless nails
>all the way in, and I was able to get them out with little
>visegrips.  FWIW.  I hope no one else runs into similar stupidity,
>but thought someone might profit from knowing this experience.

Ray,

That's actually standard procedure from the factory.  The heads are
left sticking up so that you can pull them out to move the rail.

chris
--
Christopher D. Purdy R.P.T.
School of Music, Ohio University