Night And Day

Richard Brekne richard.brekne@grieg.uib.no
Sat, 29 Jun 2002 00:54:05 +0200

Hi Phil

Petrofs are pretty typically pretty zingy sounding instruments. These days you
can get either stock Petrof hammers, lots of grey dye soaked in which is
supposed to be shoulder support, or you can get them with Renner hammers, and I
think they have lots of grey dye soaked in the sides as well...:)

Either set are hard to begin with, and get real hard as time goes by. You can
needle pretty aggresively from about hammer 70 downwards... but above that you
run into the problem you describe below...but one trick is to soften up the
middel shoulders...pretty high up on these upper hammers... and then brush
across the crown one drop (and only one small drop) of water and immediatly zap
it with a hot iron. Seems to last a while and gives a nice sound... plus its
forgiving in that if you have gone a bit too far you can count on the hardness
coming back sooner or later.

I dont know why they dont try other densities.... Ask Ivana :)

 Phil Bondi wrote:

>What kind of hammers is Petrof using?..they have a distinctively familiar
>look to them..like something from Asia. Why don't they use Abels? I would
>have loved to have heard that Petrof today with a good set of
>hammers...there was so much top end zinging going on, that in order to
>completely eliminate it, one would have had to voice them to almost
>mush..this truly saddens me.
>
>Seriously,
>
>-Phil Bondi (Fl.)
>tito@philbondi.com