Staples?

Maxpiano@AOL.COM Maxpiano@AOL.COM
Fri, 28 Jun 2002 21:36:31 EDT

Yesterday I returned the action to a Chickering console, one made during
Aeolian's last stand in Memphis.  What had started as gluing down felt on
half the hammers (with thick CA) had turned into an 88-hammer job secured
with homemade staples (#11 wire), using a process another technician in our
chapter developed.

Along the way I learned that a staple may not go down through the hammer and
be tied, but just be there for looks.  The hammers in this action had a
little piece of u-shaped wire (about 1/8" legs) stuck into the top of the
hammer and the same stuck into the bottom to make it look as though it were
stapled.  North is north and south is south and never the twain shall meet!

I can't figure out why they bothered with this window-dressing.  Anyone else
ever noticed this?

Bill Maxim